Saturday, June 03, 2006

SHIFT SAMPLE

Most days go smooth.

Some days at the group home, you just can't believe that you get paid to go to movies, hike, go to the park, and attend concerts. If you are a parent you like getting paid for things you do for free at home like laundry, cooking, cleaning, transporting, and personal care prompting. These are the easy days in the group home.

Today, at the group home I work at, I didn't feel like I get paid enough for my job.

I had an overnight shift. I heard the resident get up to use the restroom. Usually he goes back to bed and to sleep if I don't go to the restroom and check on him. I sat on the couch monitoring how long he was taking. He was there a little too long, so I got up to check to make sure he wasn't sneaking water (his fluid intake is restricted for health reasons) and to prompt him back to bed.

Well……..he had a very loose BM and though he was about to sit down, obviously he partially missed the toilet. There was BM on the toilet, the wall, the shower curtain and floor. He was done, so I cleaned him up and put his laundry in the washer. I held back some gagging. He went back to bed. That made cleaning easier.

I sprayed what I could with Clorox clean-up to cover the smell. I got more gloves, a plastic bag, and paper towels. I came back and wiped/scooped up some and couldn't stop gagging. I went outside for a few minutes.

The other resident woke up and was able to wait for his morning cigarette while I finished cleaning. (A more difficult situation would be to have the second resident impatient or have a behavior).

With my shirt over my nose I cleaned more. I tried to work through the gagging, but was afraid I would add to the mess! I went back outside again. The third time back to the restroom I was able to finish. I got the other resident his cigarette. I went outside for a few minutes and then returned to the restroom to put the final touches on the cleaning and disinfecting.

After getting the resident some anti-diarrhea medicine, I had a cup of coffee. I skipped eating till my shift was over-three hours later.

I guess everyday can’t be an easy, recreation filled day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home